- An Extraordinary Life Laurence Pringle Grades 4–5 A monarch butterfly’s migratory route from Massachusetts to Mexico 595.78 P936e
- Lizards Nic Bishop Grades 4–5 Welcome to the irresistible world of geckos and dragons 597.95 B541l
- Owen & Mzee, The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship Craig Hatkoff; Isabelle Hatkoff; Dr. Paula Kahumbu Grades 4–5 The friendship between a baby hippo that was orphaned after a tsunami and a giant tortoise 599.63 H286o
- The Buzz on Bees Shelley Rotner and Anne Woodhull Grades 4–5 Possible explanations for the alarming disappearance of bees
- The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins Barbara Kerley Grades 4–5 An award-winning picture book about the life of an unusual artist B H314k
- Bad News for Outlaws Micheaux Vaunda Nelson Grades 4–5 The story of Bass Reeves, a renowned—and feared—Deputy U. S. Marshall B R259n
- The Amazing Life of Benjamin Franklin James Cross Giblin Grades 4–5 A biography of one of America's most innovative and beloved figures B F854G
- What to Do About Alice? Barbara Kerley Grades 4–5 A biography of Theodore Roosevelt's uncoventional and adventurous daughter 973.9 F457w
- Worst of Friends Suzanne Tripp Jurmain Grades 4–5 Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the story of their feud
The Solar System
- Earth: The Life of Our Planet Dr. Mike Goldsmith Grades 4–5 Stunning images help tell the story of Earth's formation
- Our Solar System Seymour Simon Grades 4–5 A dramatic tour of a vast and mystifying place whose secrets are still being unlocked
- Bones Steve Jenkins Grades 4–5 Human and animal skeletons and how they work 573.76 J418b
- Dive! Sylvia A. Earle Grades 4–5 The adventures of an undersea explorer and marine biologist
- Face to Face With Sharks David Doubilet and Jennifer Hayes Grades 4–5 Dramatic underwater photographs take you into shark territory.
- Growing Patterns Sarah C. Cambell Grades 4–5 Exploring the biggest mathematical mystery in nature—Fibonacci numbers
- And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? Jean Fritz Grades 4–5 Fascinating anecdotes and facts shed light on Paul Revere's famous midnight ride. B R324FR
- The Bill of Rights in Translation Amie Jane Leavitt Grades 4–5 One of our most important documents is translated into accessible language. 342.73 L489b
- The Crossing Jim Murphy Grades 4–5 The gripping tale of George Washington's military prowess during the American Revolution 973.332 M954c
- The Signers Dennis Brindell Fradin Grades 4–5 The 56 stories behind the Declaration of Independence
- Thunder on the Plains Ken Robbins Grades 4–5 The tragic story of the demise of the buffalo
- Now & Ben Gene Barretta Grades 4–5 The inventive mind of Benjamin Franklin
- Patience Wright Peggy Deitz Shea Grades 4–5 The story of a widowed mother who became an artist and a spy during the American Revolution
- Portraits of African-American Heroes Tonya Bolden Grades 4–5 Picture-and-word portraits offer insights into each hero's personality.
- When Marian Sang Pam Muñoz Ryan Grades 4–5 The story of Marian Anderson and her remarkable voice B An24R
- Coral Reefs Jason Chin Grades 4–5 As a girl turns the pages of a book about coral reefs, she enters a wondrous undersea world. 577.7 C441c
Volcano Patricia Lauber Grades 4–5 The eruption and healing of Mount St. Helens
Understanding Weather Patterns
- Blizzard! Jim Murphy Grades 4–5 What caused the historic blizzard of 1888?
- Weather Penelope Arlon Grades 4–5 Eyewitness accounts of extreme weather events; includes a digital companion book
Around the World
- Hands Around the Library Susan L. Roth Grades 4–5 The story of Egyptian demonstrators who protected their library during the 2011 politcal uprising
- If the World Were a Village David J. Smith Grades 4–5 A look at the world's people through the lives of 100 villagers 304 Sm54i
- Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything Kathleen Krull Grades 4–5 A history of the fearsome 13th-century Emperor
Environment and Geography
- Into the Volcano Donna O’Meara Grades 4–5 A journey to the center of volcanoes
- Ocean Sunlight Molly Bang Grades 4–5 A look at the life cycles that keep oceans vibrant
- Lafayette and the American Revolution Russell Freedman Grades 6–8 The dramatic account of a French nobleman who helped assure victory at Yorktown B L1309F
- The Great Fire Jim Murphy Grades 6–8 Why Chicago's fire of 1871 was one of the most catastrophic in U.S. history 977.3 M954g
- Up Before Daybreak Deborah Hopkinson Grades 6–8 Slaves, sharecroppers and mill workers tell the story of cotton in America.
- Washington at Valley Forge Russell Freedman Grades 6–8 How a group of American soldiers survived the brutal winter at Valley Forge in 1777-78 973.3 F875w
Animals and Biology
- Baby Mammoth Mummy Frozen in Time! Bernard Buigues and Christopher Sloan Grades 6–8 Out on the frozen Siberian tundra, hunters make a remarkable discovery. 569.67 Sl52b
- The Brain Seymour Simon Grades 6–8 Digital images accompany an exploration of the many dimensions of this complex organ.
- Before Columbus Charles C. Mann Grades 6–8 Insights into life in the Americas before Columbus set sail 970.01 M315b
- Mammoth Bones and Broken Stones David L. Harrison Grades 6–8 A scientist tracks North America's First People.
- Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith Deborah Heiligman Grades 6–8 The story of Charles and Emma Darwin, whose marriage survived conflicting scientific beliefs B D259H
- Lincoln: A Photobiography Russell Freedman Grades 6–8 A chronicle of Lincoln's life is accompanied by analyses of his presidency. B L637Fr
- Restless Spirit Elizabeth Partridge Grades 6–8 The life and work of photojournalist Dorothea Lange, best known for her portraits of the Great Depression B L26p
- Steve Jobs: Thinking Differently Patricia Lakin Grades 6–8 This biography for young readers chronicles the visionary, entrepreneur and inventor.
- Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott Russell Freedman Grades 6–8 How the boycott following the arrest of Rosa Parks became a major victory in the civil rights movement 323.1 F875f
- Marching for Freedom Elizabeth Partridge Grades 6–8 An account of the children who walked from Selma to Montgomery in 1965 to call attention to discrimination
- Sojourner Truth: Ain’t I a Woman? Patricia C. McKissack Grades 6–8 A biography of the African-American preacher, abolitionist and activist
- The Day Martin Luther King, Jr. Was Shot Jim Haskins Grades 6–8 An account of the struggle for civil rights and the gains made since King’s death
- Heroes of the Environment Harriet Rohmer Grades 6–8 Twelve environmentalists are profiled.
- Who Wants Pizza? Jan Thornhill Grades 6–8 An entertaining guide to the history, science and culture of food
- Night Sky Giles Sparrow Grades 6–8 How stars are born and die, what nebulae are and how comets and asteroids are formed; includes a digital companion book
- Super Stars David A. Aguilar Grades 6–8 The biggest, hottest, brightest and most explosive stars in the Milky Way
- When Is a Planet Not a Planet? Elaine Scott Grades 6–8 The 2006 downgrading of Pluto is recounted in accessible prose.
- Ancient Inca Michael Burgan Grades 6–8 The history and daily life of one of the world's greatest civilizations
- The Emperor's Silent Army Jane O’Connor Grades 6–8 An insider's view of the discovery of terracotta warrior statues in northern China in 1974 931 Oc5e
Environments and Ecosystems
- Ocean and Sea Steve Parker Grades 6–8 Sharks, tsunamis, coral reefs, strange-looking fish and more
- The Down-to-Earth Guide to Global Warming Cambria Gordon and Laurie David Grades 6–8 A kid-friendly discussion about climate change and the environment
- How to write an explanatory text Sara Howell Grades 3-4 808.02 H839wr
- How to write an Opinion piece Sara Howell Grades 3-4 808.02 H839w