Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Grades K-1 and 2-3
- Apple Banana Cherry Joy Cowley Grades K–1 Read-aloud rhymes make learning the alphabet fun for young readers.
- Pocket Poems Bobbi Katz Grades K–1 These 50 short poems by a wide selection of poets span a range of kid-centric emotions.
- Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin Lloyd Moss and Marjorie Priceman Grades K–1 This counting book is the perfect introduction to musical instruments. E M854z
- Blueberries for Sal Robert McCloskey Grades K–1 While picking blueberries, Sal doesn't realize she's following the wrong mother—a mother bear. E M132b
- Each Peach Pear Plum Janet & Allan Ahlberg Grades K–1 This rhyme book will delight youngsters with familiar nursery rhyme characters hidden in playful drawings. E Ah47e
- Lon Po Po: A Red Riding Hood Story From China Ed Young Grades K–1 In this interpretation of the Red Riding Hood story, three sisters are endangered by a hungry wolf in disguise. 398.51 Y84l
- Make Way for Ducklings Robert McCloskey Grades K–1 With help from a policeman, Mrs. Mallard and her family arrive home safely. E M132m
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit Beatrix Potter Grades K–1 A mischievous little rabbit hops into trouble in Mr. McGregor's vegetable garden. E P851t
- A New Coat for Anna Harriet Ziefert Grades K–1 A mother is determined to acquire a new coat for her daughter in post-World War II hard times. E Z62n
- An Orange in January Dianna Hutts Aston Grades K–1 Follow an orange from blossom to market to learn about a plant's growth cycle and the produce industry.
- Families Are Different Nina Pellegrini Grades K–1 Nico, who is adopted, learns that children live in all types of families and that parents come in all shapes and sizes.
- Miss Rumphius Barbara Cooney Grades K–1 A spirited little girl grows up determined to make the world more beautiful.
- No, David! David Shannon Grades K–1 A toddler finds trouble in every corner of the house. E Sh19n
- The Dot Peter H. Reynolds Grades K–1 Vashti tries to convince her teacher that she can't draw. Then a dot changes everything.
- The Snowy Day Ezra Jack Keats Grades K–1 Vivid illustrations capture a young boy's delight in the first snowfall of the year. E K225s
- Duck on a Bike David Shannon Grades K–1 A duck decides to try riding a bike and ends up loving it. E Sh19d
- Frog and Toad Together Arnold Lobel Grades K–1 Frog and Toad learn the give-and-take of friendship in these five tales. E L783ft
- Hi! Fly Guy Tedd Arnold Grades K–1 Is he a pest, or is he a pet? A fly flits around, looking for a tasty, slimy treat to eat.
- Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Mo Willems Grades K–1 Angst ensues when Trixie realizes that she left her beloved "somebunny" at the laundromat. E W667k
- Little Bear Else Holmelund Minarik Grades K–1 Designed for beginning readers, these simple tales tell the story of Little Bear and his loving mother. E M661l
- Little Mouse Gets Ready Jeff Smith Grades K–1 There's lots to do before Little Mouse is ready to go visit the barn. First, he must master getting dressed. E Sm5931
- Not Norman: A Goldfish Story Kelly Bennett Grades K–1 A young boy wants a furry pet, not a goldfish, for his birthday. But slowly, and amusingly, the fish wins him over.
- Owl at Home Arnold Lobel Grades K–1 Whether he's inviting Winter in on a snowy night or welcoming a new friend, Owl always has room for visitors. E L783ow
- American Poetry John Hollander Grades 2–3 A collection of 26 poems by some of America's finest poets about beloved landscapes 808.1 H719a
- Animal Poems John Hollander Grades 2–3 Poems by poets like Blake, Dickinson, Tennyson, Yeats, Wordsworth, and Keats are accompanied by captivating paintings.
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening Robert Frost Grades 2–3 This picture book version of the classic poem give Frost’s masterpiece a seasonal feeling. 808.1 F93s
- The New Kid on the Block Jack Prelutsky Grades 2–3 More than 100 humorously illustrated poems about Baloney Belly Billy and other strange beings 808.1 P915n
- Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon Paula Danziger Grades 2–3 When Amber's best friend has to move away, Amber learns how hard it is to say goodbye. F D238a
- Clementine Sara Pennypacker Grades 2–3 This lovable and realistic third grader has a huge heart, personality to spare and a talent for trouble. F P385c
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8 Beverly Cleary Grades 2–3 Even though Ramona feels quite grown up, her teacher still considers her a nuisance. F C58rq
- Thank You, Mr. Falker Patricia Polacco Grades 2–3 This autobiography tells the story of Little Trisha, whose struggle with dyslexia is transformed by a wonderful teacher. F P757th
- The Talented Clementine Sara Pennypacker Grades 2–3 Clementine panics when the talent contest is announced, but the unexpected skill she demonstrates surprises everyone.
- Thunder CakePatricia Polacco Grades 2–3 While gathering the ingredients for her grandmother’s "thunder cake," a girl overcomes her fear of storms. e p757TC
- Tía Isa Wants a Car Meg Medina Grades 2–3 Although they send most of their money to help far-away relatives, a girl and her aunt still save enough for a car.
- Amos & Boris William Steig Grades 2–3 When Amos the mouse rolls off his ship in the ocean, Boris the whale rescues him, starting a lasting friendship. E St33a
- Charlotte's Web E. B. White Grades 2–3 Wilbur the pig makes friends with a delightful girl and a wise spider. F W583c
- Crow Call Lois Lowry Grades 2–3 Nine-year-old Liz and the father she barely knows begin their journey of reconnection through a hunting trip. E L955c
- Grace for President Kelly Dipucchio Grades 2–3 Grace wants to become the first woman president. But first she must become class president.
- Granddaddy's Gift Margaree King Mitchell Grades 2–3 When her grandfather registers to vote in segregated Mississippi, a young black girl learns the importance of school.
- Henry and Mudge: The First Book Cynthia Rylant Grades 2–3 The popular tale of Henry and his 180-pound dog Mudge, a friendly pooch ready for adventure
- My Father's Dragon Ruth Stiles Gannett Grades 2–3 A young boy is determined to rescue a baby dragon being used by a group of lazy animals to ferry them across the river. F G156m
- Poppleton in Winter Cynthia Rylant Grades 2–3 The story of Poppleton the pig, whose quirky adventures and whimsical ideas charm readers
- Sarah, Plain and Tall Patricia MacLachlan Grades 2–3 What happens when Papa puts an ad in the paper asking for a wife? F M221s
- Tsunami! Kimio Kajikawa Grades 2–3 A wealthy old man sacrifices his lands and possessions in order to save villagers from an impending tsunami. E K123t
- Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride Pam Muñoz Ryan Grades 2–3 All about a night in 1933, when Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt make history E R957a
- Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins Carole Boston Weatherford Grades 2–3 Connie watches four young men take a stand for equal rights at a Woolworth's lunch counter in North Carolina. F W378f
- In the Garden With Dr. Carver Susan Grigsby Grades 2–3 Dr. George Washington Carver visits an Alabama town in the early 1900s to help depleted farms.
- Mailing May Michael O. Tunnell Grades 2–3 It's 1914, and Charlotte May Pierstorff wants to cross 75 miles of mountains to visit her grandma.
- Ron's Big Mission Rose Blue and Corinne Naden Grades 2–3 Challenger astronaut Ron McNair desegregates his hometown library through peaceful resistance.
- The Memory Coat Elvira Woodruff Grades 2–3 A tattered coat, made by Grisha's mother in Russia, unexpectedly changes his fate as he is screened at Ellis Island.
- Uncle Jed's Barbershop Margaret King Mitchell Grades 2–3 After a life of obstacles, including segregation and the Great Depression, Uncle Jed opens a barbershop. E M692u
- Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse Emily Arnold McCully Grades 2–3 A veteranian who was once a slave teach a horse to spell, recognize colors and make change from a cash register.
- Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti Gerald McDermott Grades 2–3 The amazing adventure of the spider-hero of the Ashanti people of Ghana begins with a fall into the river. 398.667 M145a
- Borreguita and the Coyote Verna Aardema Grades 2–3 A little lamb tricks the fierce coyotoe that wants her for a meal in this clever story of brains versus brawn. 398.72 Aa72b
- Ming Lo Moves the Mountain Arnold Lobel Grades 2–3 In this whimsical folktale, Ming Lo's wife demands that he moves the mountain looming over their house. E L783mi
- Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters: An African Tale John Steptoe Grades 2–3 Mufaro's two beautiful daughters react in different ways to the king's search for a wife. E St45mb
- Strega Nona Tomie dePaola Grades 2–3 When Strega Nona is away, Big Anthony tries reciting the magic verse over her pasta pot, with disastrous results. 398.45 D44s
- The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest Lynne Cherry Grades 2–3 A man exhausted from trying to chop down a kapok tree sleeps while the forest’s residents whisper in his ear. E C424g
- The Irish Cinderlad Shirley Climo Grades 2–3 In this Irish twist on the Cinderella story, Becan runs away from his evil stepmother and seeks help from a magical bull. 398.415 C164i
- The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush Tomie dePaola Grades 2–3 A rhythmic and evocative retelling of an Indian legend of the origin of the paintbrush flower. 398.701 D44l
- The Rough-Face Girl Rafe Martin Grades 2–3 In this Algonquin Indian version of the Cinderella story, a Rough-Face Girl wins the heart of a mysterious man. 398.701 M364r
Grades 4-5 and 6-8
- Black Cat Christopher Myers Grades 4–5 A black cat tours a thrilling urban landscape. E M9925b
- Harlem Walter Dean Myers Grades 4–5 A poem celebrating the people, sights and sounds of Harlem 808.1 M992h
- Poetry for Young People: Carl Sandburg Frances Schoonmaker Bolin Grades 4–5 This volume contains more than 30 poems from the poet who has been called "the voice of America."
- Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson Frances Schoonmaker Bolin Grades 4–5 A collection of Dickinson's best-loved poems
- Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes David Roessel & Arnold Rampersad Grades 4–5 The powerful poems in this volume include some of the poet's best-loved works.
- Because of Winn-Dixie Kate DiCamillo Grades 4–5 Opal spends her first summer in a new town with a stray dog and a lot of difficult memories. F D546b
- Chasing Vermeer Blue Balliett Grades 4–5 When a book of unexplainable occurances brings Petra and Calder together, they must solve a crime that baffles the FBI. F B213c
- Dear Mr. Henshaw Beverly Cleary Grades 4–5 A 10-year-old boy's diary entries and letters reveal the difficulties of finding a place in the world. F C58d
- Freak the Mighty Rodman Philbrick Grades 4–5 Two boys—a slow learner too large for his age and a tiny, crippled genius—form an unforgettable team. F P533f
- Rules Cynthia Lord Grades 4–5 Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life, which seems almost impossible when you have a brother with autism.
- Shiloh Phyllis Reynolds Naylor Grades 4–5 When Marty comes across a young beagle in the hills behind his home, it's love at first sight--and also big trouble. F N234sh
- The Junkyard Wonders Patricia Polacco Grades 4–5 Trisha learns the true meaning of genius when she transfers to a new school and meets Mrs. Peterson. E P757j
- American Tall Tales Mary Pope Osborne Grades 4–5 Background information provides factual contrast to these nine American folk tales. 398.73 Os2a
- Bud, Not Buddy Christopher Paul Curtis Grades 4–5 Fed up with cruel foster homes, 10-year-old Bud hits the road in search of a father he never knew. F C941b
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Jeff Kinney Grades 4–5 Middle-schooler Greg Heffley records the hazards of growing up through the words and drawings in his diary. F K623d
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler E. L. Konigsburg Grades 4–5 Two young runaways find themselves living in the Metropolitan Musuem of Art, deep in a mystery. F K837f
- Inside Out & Back Again Thanhha Lai Grades 4–5 Ten-year-old Ha and her family are forced to leave Saigon during the Vietnam War. F L14i
- M.C. Higgins, the Great Virginia Hamilton Grades 4–5 M.C. dreams of escape for himself and his family from Sarah's Mountain. F H18m
- My Side of the Mountain Jean Craighead George Grades 4–5 A journal account of the dangerous year Sam spends in the mountains with his falcon. F G292m
- Stone Fox John Reynolds Gardiner Grades 4–5 Willy enters a dogsled race to save his family farm, but is challenged by a mysterious American Indian, Stone Fox. F G292m
- The Great Gilly Hopkins Katherine Paterson Grades 4–5 Gilly Hopkins finds herself in a foster home that she wants to hate, but comes to love. F P273g
- Call It Courage Armstrong Sperry Grades 4–5 A young Polynesian boy, ostracized for his fear of the ocean, regains his honor by surviving alone on a distant island. F Sp37c
- Elijah of Buxton Christopher Paul Curtis Grades 4–5 When a former slave steals money from Elijah's friend, it's up to him to catch the thief. F C941e
- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson Betty Bao Lord Grades 4–5 A Chinese girl immigrates to New York and assimilates into a strange culture. F L8843i
- My Havana: Memories of a Cuban Boyhood Rosemary Wells with Secundino Fernandez Grades 4–5 A young Cuban immigrant eases his homesicknesses through art. F W4631m
- One Hen Katie Smith Milway Grades 4–5 Based on a true story, a Ghanan child tells of the effect micro-loans have on his family's life.
- The Whipping Boy Sid Fleischman Grades 4–5 Jemmy the orphan is blamed for kidnapping the awful, spoiled prince. F F6282w
- The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark Carmen Agra Deedy Grades 4–5 King Christian X of Denmark bravely stands against the Nazis by wearing a gold Star of David.
- Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery Deborah & James Howe Grades 4–5 Harold the dog and Chester the cat attempt to alert their family that the new bunny may be a vampire. F H8384b
- Fantastic Mr. Fox Roald Dahl Grades 4–5 Mr. Fox, his wife, and their four children outsmart three unpleasant farmers. F D138f
- Redwoods Jason Chin Grades 4–5 A subway trip is transformed when a young boy happens upon a book about redwoods.
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle Beverly Cleary Grades 4–5 Young mouse Ralph and his family live in a motel, and a new tenant arrives with a mouse-sized motorcycle. F C58m
- The Phantom Tollbooth Norton Juster Grades 4–5 Joining forces with a watchdog named Tock, ten-year-old Milo drives through a tollbooth and begins a memorable journey. F J982p
- The Tale of Despereaux Kate DiCamillo Grades 4–5 Despereaux Tilling is a mouse who is in love with music, stories and a princess named Pea. F D546ta
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz L. Frank Baum Grades 4–5 Farm girl Dorothy's dream world comes alive when a cyclone lifts her from Kansas into an enchanted land. F B327wi
- A Long Way from Chicago Richard Peck Grades 6–8 Grandma Dowdel is a constant source of delight and surprise in her Depression-era town. F P335lo
- A Year Down Yonder Richard Peck Grades 6–8 Mary Alice faces a long year living with Grandma Dowdel, a woman well known for shaking things up. F P335ay
- Al Capone Does My Shirts Gennifer Choldenko Grades 6–8 A 12-year-old boy moves to Alcatraz Island, where his father works as a guard. F C453a
- Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio Tony Johnston Grades 6–8 In eleven-year-old Arturo's Los Angeles community, acts of generosity and goodwill improve lives.
- Hoot Carl Hiaasen Grades 6–8 Three middle school kids are plunged into an ecological mystery and take on a quest to save endangered owls. F H52h
- Pictures of Hollis Woods Patricia Reilly Giff Grades 6–8 Hollis has been in too many foster homes to count. When she's sent to Josie, she wants to make sure she stays. F G366pi
- The Wednesday Wars Gary D. Schmidt Grades 6–8 Holling meets a teacher who makes every dream seem possible. F Sch53w
- A Single Shard Linda Sue Park Grades 6–8 An orphan in 12th-century Korea accidentally breaks a pot; his servitude to the potter begins a life-changing journey. F P20si
- City of Orphans Avi Grades 6–8 Maks fights the gangs trying to shake him down and tries to clear his sister when she's framed for stealing.
- Esperanza Rising Pam Muñoz Ryan Grades 6–8 Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family in Mexico. Then a tragedy changed everything. F R957e
- Fever 1793 Laurie Halse Anderson Grades 6–8 When the fever breaks out in her hometown of Philadelphia, Mattie must flee the city with her grandfather. F An239f
- Hiroshima: A Novella Laurence Yep Grades 6–8 A fictionalized account of the bombing of Hiroshima, seen through the eyes of 12-year-old Sachi F Y43h
- Moon Over Manifest Clare Vanderpool Grades 6–8 Abilene Tucker heads off to her father's hometown to uncover the stories and secrets of his past. F V285m
- The Dreamer Pam Muñoz Ryan Grades 6–8 From the time he is a boy, Neftalí hears the call of a voice and knows he must follow it until he discovers its source.
- The Lions of Little Rock Kristin Levine Grades 6–8 Marlee and Liz are willing to take on segregation and the danger their friendship could bring to their families. F L5785
- The Shakespeare Stealer Gary Blackwood Grades 6–8 Widge has been sent to steal Shakespeare's new play, but he must decide whether to betray his trusting friends.
- A Wrinkle in Time Madeleine L'’Engle Grades 6–8 An unexpected visitor changes the lives of Meg, her younger brother Charles, and their scientist mother. F L547w
- Artemis Fowl Eoin Colfer Grades 6–8 Artemis is a criminal mastermind, but he doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy. F C68ar
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows J. K. Rowling Grades 6–8 Harry faces more danger than ever before in his search for the Horcruxes. F R797hd
- The Giver Lois Lowry Grades 6–8 In a "perfect" society free of war, fear, and pain, 12-year-old Jonas begins to understand a disturbing truth. F L955g
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe C. S. Lewis Grades 6–8 Four children find their way into Narnia, where they come to the aid of a golden lion in a battle. F L584c
- A Girl Named Disaster Nancy Farmer Grades 6–8 When 11-year-old Nhamo runs away rather than marry a cruel man, she embarks on a year-long journey full of danger. F F2297g
- Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie Jordan Sonnenblick Grades 6–8 Steven is a typical eighth grader. Then his younger brother is diagnosed with leukemia, and life begins to unravel.
- Holes Louis Sachar Grades 6–8 Stanley is sent to a terrible camp where they dig holes to build character. F Sa135h
- Maniac Magee Jerry Spinelli Grades 6–8 In overcoming his own tragedies, an athletic teenager unites his small town and bridges its racial divide. F Sp46m
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain Grades 6–8 When Huck runs away and meets Miss Watson's slave, Jim, the two embark on some memorable adventures. F C591h
- The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins Grades 6–8 Katniss Everdeen volunteers to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death. F C6961h
- The Tiger Rising Kate DiCamillo Grades 6–8 After losing his mother, Rob moves to a new community, where he discovers a friend—and caged tigers in the woods. F D546t
- Crispin: The Cross of Lead Avi Grades 6–8 A boy flees town after he is falsely accused of a crime and slowly learns about his history in order to break free. F Av51cr
- Eleven Patricia Reilly Giff Grades 6–8 Sam has alarming questions about his past, but needs a friend to help him piece it all together. "An exquisitely...
- Stormbreaker Anthony Horowitz Grades 6–8 Alex Rider's world is turned upside down when he discovers that his uncle and guardian has been murdered. F H785s
- Ten Great Mysteries by Edgar Allan Poe Edgar Allan Poe Grades 6–8 Ten creepy tales, including classics like The Telltale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Purlioned Letter.
- The Dark Is Rising Susan Cooper Grades 6–8 Will must find six magical signs to prevent the Dark forces from rising again. F C787dr
- The Westing Game Ellen Raskin Grades 6–8 The heirs of an eccentric millionaire must solve a crime to claim their inheritance. F R783w
Grades 9-10 and 11-12
- I'm Nobody! Who Are You? Emily Dickinson Grades 9–10 A collection of poetry introduced by author Virginia Euwer Wolff
- The Dream Keeper and Other Poems Langston Hughes Grades 9–10 First published in 1932, these poems portray hope, pride, dreams, love and the African-American experience. 808.1 H874dr
- The Raven and Other Poems Edgar Allan Poe Grades 9–10 A collection of Poe's best-loved poems, including "The Raven" and "Annabel Lee"
- Nothing But the Truth: A Documentary Novel Avi Grades 9–10 Philip Maloy just wants a different English teacher, but what begins as an act of defiance quickly snowballs. F Av51no
- Red Kayak Priscilla Cummings Grades 9–10 The truth behind a terrible accident threatens to tear a small town apart.
- Speak Laurie Halse Anderson Grades 9–10 Social outcast Melinda rarely speaks, but through her work on an art project she is able to face a horrible memory. F An239s
- The Catcher in the Rye J. D. Salinger Grades 9–10 Sixteen-year-old Holden Caulfield leaves his prep school and goes underground in New York City for three days. F Sa33c
- Monster Walter Dean Myers Grades 9–10 Readers become both juror and witness in this screenplay-format account of a teen's murder trial. F M992mon
- Robert Frost Gary D. Schmidt Grades 11–12 Poems, a biographical sketch and glossary
- The Best Poems Ever Eric S. Mesmer Grades 11–12 Poems by Emily Dickinson, Edgar Allan Poe, Pablo Neruda, Gwendolyn Brooks and others
- Between Shades of Gray Ruta Sepetys Grades 11–12 The harrowing story of the 1941 Russian invasion of Lithuania through the eyes of an artistic 15-year-old girl F Se61b
- Lord of the Flies William Golding Grades 11–12 Golding's classic novel about English schoolboys stranded on an island F L513t
- Sense and Sensibility Jane Austen Grades 11–12 Two sisters, one impulsive and one reasonable, follow very different paths.
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian Sherman Alexie Grades 11–12 The semiautobiographical story of a boy with a birth defect who is born into poverty on a reservation F Sh545a
- The Book Thief Markus Zusak Grades 11–12 F Z89b
- The House on Mango Street Sandra Cisneros Grades 11–12 Esperanza is coming of age in Latino Chicago, using poems and stories to deal with oppression and abuse. "A... PS3553.I78 H66 2003bx OVSZ
- To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee Grades 11–12 The classic tale of a sleepy Southern town rocked by racial injustice
- Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear William Shakespeare Grades 11–12 Shakespeare's greatest tragedies in one volume
In separate volumes: Hamlet PR2807 .A25 2002 Macbeth 808.22 Sh15m
- Riot Walter Dean Myers Grades 11–12 The 1863 draft riots in New York City brought to life in a screenplay format F M992ri
- Romeo and Juliet William Shakespeare Grades 11–12 Warring families, gang fighting, teen passions and tragedy from the world's greatest playwright 808.22 Sh15ro